Friday, August 6, 2021

Epitaph - Engraved


What will be engraved on your stone?
"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." Rev 2:17 KJV
Now, I can not tell you what that "white stone" is or what it symbolizes; but I can ponder about that "new name" that will be written on it. And in thinking about that new name, I also find myself thinking about the sentiment that will be engraved upon the head stone. that will grace my earthly burial site.
In recent years, I have taken on a new hobby. Basically, I "work" on a site called FindaGrave.com. In the beginning, I used the site for researching family history. It was fun finding & adding additional info to the memorials that had already been created. Working on the site, I have run across various epitaphs. Some are full poems, others just a word or two. It is interesting to get some insight into the life of the deceased.
Many head stones bear the words "Rest in Peace". Others say, "Loving Mother or Loving Father". Some of the very old stones have full poems that tell a stories about the deceased. Some are comical, some are droll, and some must be related to an "inside joke" because they make no sense as standalone comments. At any rate, the epitaph is borne from the heart of someone that was left behind.
What would I like to be written upon my rock? (that's one way it is referred to here in the South.) I have thought about it a few times. It needs to be true; it should be something that would have been evident to anyone who knew me, and I would like for it to be a beacon to point the reader to Jesus.
I would like for my epitaph to read, "Faithful Servant, Forever in the Presence of the Life Giver, Jesus Christ."
I'm praying for the Lord to help me to remain faithful to Him and to the calling that He has placed upon my life.. And I ask you, dear ones, take a moment to reflect upon what lasting words that you would want others to read about you. Remember, the epitaph is ENGRAVED and not likely to ever be changed. It is the final period upon your earthly existence. Live in such a way that you will hear these words: "Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." Matthew 25:21 KJV



Today's vocabulary word is "epitaph". It is a word not often heard these days. Yet, a large number of people still choose to inscribe one upon their loved one's grave. The general content of epitaphs has changed over time. Early inscriptions were simply the deceased's name, birth date, death date, and perhaps the place of their death. 

The following is an excerpt from Wikipedia's definition: "An epitaph (from Greek ἐπιτάφιος epitaphios "a funeral oration" from ἐπί epi "at, over" and τάφος taphos "tomb")[1][2] is a short text honoring a deceased person. Strictly speaking, it refers to text that is inscribed on a tombstone or plaque, but it may also be used in a figurative sense. Some epitaphs are specified by the person themselves before their death, while others are chosen by those responsible for the burial. An epitaph may be written in prose or in poem versepoets have been known to compose their own epitaphs prior to their death, as did William Shakespeare.[3]"

And Jacob set a pillar upon her grave that is the pillar of Rachel's grave unto this day." Genesis 35:20 KJV 

No comments:

Welcomed Guests

Over 500 to sample. Enjoy.