Sunday, July 7, 2024

Blessed in Spite of the Bonds

The majority of the New Testament was written by the incarcerated Apostle Paul. His letter to the Church of Philippi was sent from Rome, the place to which he requested to be heard by the authorities. His request and its satisfaction fulfilled the prophecy that he would in fact preach the Gospel in Rome. 

He begins the letter to the Philippians with his tender thoughts concerning the relationship that he has with them. Paul expresses his thankfulness for them as co-laborers in the Gospel. Then he encourages them of the continuing work of the Lord in and among them. And he makes it clear that they should not mourn his imprisonment, because it is working for the propagation of the Gospel.

Essentially, he was surrounded by an audience of prisoners, soldiers, and political powers. All of which had little time to attend religious meetings outside of the palace porches and prison halls. Paul was preaching to a "captive audience". Even in casual conversation, I'm sure the subject matter was directly or indirectly related to the Gospel. No doubt he shared the story of his conversion on the Damascus Road.

When the Apostle Paul was given the floor before King Agrippa, he recounted his experience on the Damascus Road. In the King James Version, Acts 26:28 King Agrippa said to Paul, "almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian". The New Living Translation renders the verse thusly: "then Agrippa said to Paul, do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian". Regardless of the translation, the verse reveals the Paul's intent to "reach the lost" for Jesus.

I find so much encouragement in the scriptures. While I am not in a jail cell or under house arrest, I am "bound" with various physical ailments. At times, I feel that I am completely helpless to carry out the calling that the Lord has placed on my life. There are times when I am in a state of fatigue so severe, I'm at the point of collapse. At other times, I am gripped with pain to the point of incapacitation. Then as the symptoms increase or compound upon one another, my mind will begin to weaken and fixate on the "what ifs". And if I'm not careful, I will begin to question God and my relationship with Him. 

BUT GOD, in His mercy brings His Word to my mind. He comes along side me and lifts my spirit out of the bonds of my feeble mind. The Holy Spirit empowers me to press on and to continue to share the Gospel to any/all who will listen.

Back to the Apostle Paul and another passage that brings so much encouragement to me. Remember the verses concerning "the thorn in his flesh".  While there are varying opinions as to what that thorn or messenger was, it is clear that its purpose was to help Paul remain humble. In verse 9, Paul refers to weakness and infirmities and how he is willing to endure them as a conduit of the light of God's glory. That willingness came because of the Lord's answer to his prayers. God did not remove the thorn, but He replied with a declaration of His faithfulness to strengthen Paul with His grace.

Again, in his second letter to the Corinthians, chapter 4 verses 14 - 18, Paul speaks of how our sufferings pave the way for the revelation of God's glory. He even calls our afflictions "light and momentary". Really puts our maladies into proper perspective.

Jesus came to set the captives free! I BELIEVE IN DIVINE HEALING. I believe He can do more than I could ever imagine. And I BELIEVE IN HIS ALL SUFFICIENT GRACE!!  So what if my flesh is bound? MY SPIRIT IS FREE! My spirit is free to believe and receive God's mercy and grace and help in my time of need. .

Dear Reader, regardless of your condition, look to Jesus. The supply of His grace is endless, His mercy endures forever, and He is faithful to answer your prayers.

No comments:

Welcomed Guests

Over 500 to sample. Enjoy.